BEYOND MEASURE

"OUR DEEPEST IS NOT THAT WE ARE INADEQUATE.

OUR DEEPEST FEAR IS THAT WE ARE POWERFUL BEYOND MEASURE. IT IS OUR LIGHT, NOT OUR DARKNESS, THAT MOST FRIGHTENS US.

WE ASK OURSELVES: WHO AM I TO BE BRILLIANT, GORGEOUS, TALENTED, FABULOUS? ACTUALLY, WHO ARE YOU NOT TO BE?
YOU ARE A CHILD OF GOD. YOUR PLAYING SMALL DOES NOT SERVE THE WORLD.

THERE IS NOTHING ENLIGHTENED ABOUT SHRINKING SO THAT OTHER PEOPLE WON'T FEEL INSECURE AROUND YOU. WE ARE ALL MEANT TO SHINE, AS CHILDREN DO.

WE WERE BORN TO MAKE MANIFEST THE GLORY OF GOD IN US. IT'S NOT JUST SOME OF US. IT'S IN EVERYONE.
AND AS WE LET OUR LIGHT SHINE, WE UNCONSCIOUSLY GIVE OTHER PEOPLE PERMISSION TO DO THE SAME. AS WE ARE LIBERATED FROM OUR OWN FEAR, OUR PRESENCE AUTOMATICALLY LIBERATES OTHERS"




(Marianne Williamson - and quoted by Nelson Mandela 1994 at his inauguration!


Friday, July 19, 2013

LIES EXPOSED - to have the right image of God

This Monday, I was blessed to speak and minister again at the Old Age Home in our area. God put a special topic on my heart. He wanted me to speak about what image we have of HIM.

The Image of God
It is important to have the right image of God in our hearts. We actually behave according to our beliefs. So why not check in and see if our beliefs about God are correct. What is correct? - With correct I mean biblical.
The text I used is found in Matthew  16: 13-20. It is the account where Jesus asks his disciples who they think He is.
13 When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?”
14 So they said, “Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
16 Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
17 Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. 18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed[a] in heaven.”
20 Then He commanded His disciples that they should tell no one that He was Jesus the Christ.

Here we see 4 misconceptions, for views of who Jesus could be: John the Baptist, Elijah, Jeremiah, one of the prophets. The people could not really say who Jesus was. Then Jesus asks his disciples and Simon Peter stands up and proclaims: You are the Christ (Messiah), the Son of the living God!
What a proclamation and Peter hit the nail on the head. His image of God changed in this account and this would carry him through the trials and tribulations of the next season of his life.
Jesus asks his disciples and he ask us today right now: Who do YOU say I am?
This strikes at the very heart of our relationship with God. If He asked me that right now, I would say: "Jesus, you are the lifter of my head, you are my shield and my strong tower, you are my man and husband and my Lord!!!"  What would YOU say? Think about it for a moment. It is an important question.
Who is God for you? Have you proclaimed and confessed who God is for you in this season of your life?
God's nature must shape who we are. Therefore, we need to have the right picture, the right idea of HIM who sits on the Throne...who is the Everlasting One.

Our confidence in God only comes when we understand two things: 1) we need to understand who God is and 2) we need to understand who we are through Him.

For this to work, I would like to expose a very permanent lie, a very big misconception about God. May I ask you, is there a walk with God  without trials and tribulations?   NO!
It is easy to answer it this way. However it is a big misconception that exists not only among non-Christians but also a lot among us believers.
What does God's Word say about this belief?
John 16:33 says: 33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will[a] have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”
The word tribulation comes from the Greek word thipsis and it is used to describe the crushing of olives and grapes in a press. What an amazing picture. We can be crushed and squeezed and really in a tight and hard spot in life. Yet Jesus has overcome all that and yet He gives us a secret to conquer: invite HIS peace into our hearts in the midst of the storm!!
Can you see that it is clear from this Scripture that there will me many hard times even walking with Jesus but then Jesus tells us that He has overcome it all and if we stick with Him we also overcome!
1 Peter 1: 6-7 says: In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honour, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ.    Peter explains here that in light of the joy of seeing Jesus, the trials on earth are only a little while. This makes me think of childbirth. Although I personally have not yet been in that situation, I have seen it a lot: it can be excruciatingly painful in the times of the birth pains. When I speak to the proud mom when she hold the new born...all the pain is out of mind in view of the child. I think this is what Peter meant in his letter.
Philippians 1:29: 29 For to you it has been granted on behalf of Christ, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake. Paul even puts it as a privilege to suffer for Jesus. Here is a very weird and new way of looking at things: why not using our suffering to build our character instead of resenting it.
1 Peter 2:21 : 21 For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us,[a] leaving us[b] an example, that you should follow His steps.   There are more verses to expose the lie and misconception but I will leave us with those four. We can see that suffering is part of the Christian walk and life.
I am not here to talk doom and gloom. So I want to bring some balance to all this "suffering".
In Romans chapter 8 Paul tells us that we are more than conquerors through Him who loves us (Romans 8:37). He also tells us that everything, all this, God works for the good for those who love HIM and are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28). Peter tells us in his second letter that in HIM we have all that pertains to life and godliness
(2 Peter 1: 3-4).

So If I have the misconception that there is no suffering or hard situation when I am walking with Jesus, then I will have a problem how to deal with hard situations in my life: a death of a loved one, a suicide of a friend, a loss of a relationship, a divorce, a health problem and even my prayers don't seem to help. In such a time it is easy then to blame God and to get bitter. The consequence is that I cannot trust God anymore.
Can you see how this misconception can cripple us in our walk with Jesus??

I want to leave you with a list of things that I know about God that are biblical. This is what I base my faith and trust on:

God is a faithful God
God is merciful
God is consistent and kind
God is patient
God is holy
God is a God of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th...chance
God is a God of Restoration and of Redemption
God is a God of consequences
God is a God of peace
God is humble
God is love
God is trustworthy
God never keeps a record of our sins and failings
God is a forgiving God

No comments:

My Blog followers